Sometimes it's the simple things that make life so damn beautiful
Last week I was on the phone with Homespun magazine discussing all things inspiration and I've been asked again to put in another design for the April/May edition next year.
You really don't know what it takes to deliver a magazine, so much planning, editorials, photography and much more. So I am still surprised we are talking about April next year and the fact I'm planning a project for then is crazy, but somehow not unusual.
I absolutely love our world of fauna, felt flowers are just my favourite thing to do. So it's no surprise I'll be doing something similar again.
I do want to share one of them though, it will be a small part of a beautiful bouquet, one I've wanted to do for a while, the Lavender.
It seems silly to share the design of this but the reason for this is that it's just so simple, you'll have a bunch whipped up in an hour.
To start with you'll need the following things
100% Wool Felt ours is made from Australian Fleece
Scraps of Felt. You can get these in our store, or if you are a frequent felter, you may already have these things in your stash.
To make one cut
- 1.5" x 3.5" of either Lavender or Lilac 100% Wool Felt
- 1" x 8" of Silver Willow or Mint
- Cloth stem wire 22 gauge - I got mine from Spotlight here
- Good Felt Scissors - I used Kai 7150 6" scissors - I never use them on fabric, I have separate scissors for that. I bought mine from Trevor the Scissorman, however, he's not got them on his website. Give him a call, and he'll hook you up ;) Click here
- Hot glue gun and spare glue - Mine is from the Reject shop in Chinchilla, just the simple 'The Craft Stall' Brand is perfect for this small work.
Let's get crafting!
- Take your Lavender or Lilac piece of felt, fold it in half and cut through the folded edge leaving 1/8th of an inch. Don't cut all the way through.
- Take your Lavender felt and glue the two uncut edges closed. This will help keep it together while you're rolling it around the wire.
- Take your wire and cut it in half. Place a small amount of glue on the edge of the Lavender felt pinch on the top of the wire and begin rolling it around the wire adding more glue as you go.
- Take your Silver Willow piece of felt and cut the felt leaving 1/8 of an inch. It's a simelar method to the Lavender but without folding the felt.
- Using the same method as the Lavender tip, place a small amount of glue on the edge of the felt and roll it around the wire. Start about 1-2 inches below the flower.
- And your done!